He words me, girls, he words me

I've been researching pronunciation this afternoon (days off are Tuesdays), through an old British recording of the play which otherwise chills me. There are wonderful concordances for Shakespeare's language out there, but none of them contain phonetic spellings for those of us in the Colonies, and in doubt.
Turns out I was right about everything. Even 'plebeians', even 'viands'...
The 'e' in Enobarbus is pronounced like Egypt.
Even 'Eros'. I was right about 'Eros' ('e' as in error, the last as in 'loss').
I am also exploring a boastful nature. It's not hard.
Well, not quite everything: I went back and forth with 'dungy', which is pronounced like 'dung' of course. I thought it might be 'dungy' like 'dingy'. But when I suggested dungy like dingy, Lesley (Cleopatra) said, 'You're thinking of 'dingy'. And I was.
The table at the top is from here.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home